Happy #MangiaMonday! To start the week off right, we bring you a delicious and mouthwatering recipe for fried zucchini! These zucchini fries can be eaten as a side, or on their own.
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
¾ teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
2 large eggs
3 medium zucchini, cut into ½-inch strips
Oil for frying
Deep fry thermometer
1. In a medium-size bowl, mix 1½ cups of the cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
2. In another medium-size bowl, whisk eggs.
3. Working in batches, dipping zucchini sticks in egg mixture to coat them completely, allowing excess egg to drip back into the bowl.
3. Dip zucchini in bread crumb mixture, patting lightly to adhere and completely coat. Place coated zucchini strips on a baking sheet.
4. Heat 2-inches oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, until the deep fry thermometer registers 350°F.
5. Working slowly, fry zucchini sticks until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
6. Use a slotted spoon to transfer zucchini on to paper towels. Drain well and transfer to a serving platter.
7. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Parmesan cheese and serve.
This recipe was printed in the Order Sons of Italy® For the Love of Italian Cooking, and was submitted by Nancy Calefato, Guglielmo Marconi Lodge #2231 Ladies Auxiliary, Islip, New York.