Mr. Baratta was sworn in as OSIA’s 34th National President on August 17. He is a retired sergeant with the Cook County Sheriff’s Office and served as president of the Commission for Social Justice (CSJ) from 2007-2009.
Joining Mr. Baratta in his upcoming administration are the following officers, all serving a first term in their new positions:
- Joseph A. Russo of Massachusetts, National First Vice President
- Daniel J. Longo of Maryland, National Second Vice Preisdent
- Anthony F.M. Spaziani of Ohio, National Third Vice Preisdent
- Vera Girolami of California, National Fourth Vice President
- Nancy Di Fiore Quinn of New York, National Fifth Vice President
- Thomas Lupo of New York, National Financial Secretary
- Frank J. Panessa of Massachusetts, National Treasurer
- James DiStefano of Massachusetts, National Recording Secretary
- Robert A. Bianchi, Esq. of New Jersey, National Orator
The Rev. R. Adam Forno of New York will continue in his role as the organization’s national chaplain.
Outgoing National President Joseph DiTrapani of New York was elected to lead the Sons of Italy Foundation (SIF), OSIA’s philanthropic branch. Established in 1959, the SIF has raised more than $125 million for educational scholarships, medical research, disaster relief, cultural preservation and other special projects.
Carlo Carlozzi, Jr. of Connecticut was chosen as president of the CSJ, OSIA’s anti-defamation branch. The CSJ fights the stereotyping of Italian Americans by the U.S. entertainment, advertising, and media industries. It also collaborates with other groups to ensure that people of all races, religions and cultures are treated with dignity and respect.
In addition to electing the new leadership, about 200 OSIA national officers, trustees, state presidents, national delegates, and their guests were present to review OSIA’s last two years of activities and set the organization’s administrative, philanthropic and cultural agendas for 2013-2015.
To see more of our favorite moments from the 53rd Biennial National Convention, click here.